Addshore

It's a blog

Month: December 2015

Wikidata references from Microdata

Recently some articles appeared on the English Wikipedia Signpost about Wikidata (1, 2, 3). Reading these articles, especially the second and third, pushed me to try to make a dent in the ‘problem’ of references on Wikidata. It turns out that this is actually not that hard!

Continue reading

Guzzle 6 retry middleware

Recently I switched from using Guzzle 5 to Guzzle 6 in my mediawiki-api-base PHP library. Everything went very smoothly except for there being no compatible version of the retry-subscriber that I had previously used. The subscriber has been replaced by retry middleware of which I was provided an extracted example. In this post I cover my implementation for the mediawiki-api-base library.

Continue reading

mediawiki-api-base 2.0.0

Roughly a year and a half ago I started writing a collection of PHP libraries to make interaction with the Mediawiki API and extension APIs super easy. The base library has just made it to 2.0.0!

The new release really only uses the new version of the Guzzle HTTP library which makes use of PSR-7 and adds async get and post methods using the Guzzle promise library.

This library is the first of the addwiki collection that has actually reached 1.0.0 let alone 2.0.0! All of the other libraries, including wikibase-api and mediawiki-api are still a work in progress with lots to be added. The next likely to be released will be the wikibase-api library once I try to also add async functionality there!

A snippet of the async functionality added in mediawiki-api-base can be seen below:

 

Reducing packet count to Statsd using Mediawiki

Recently I have been spending lots of time looking at the Wikimedia graphite set-up due to working on Grafana dashboards. In exchange for what some people had been doing for me I decided to take a quick look down the list of open Graphite tickets and found T116031. Sometimes it is great when such a small fix can have such a big impact!

Continue reading

An English breakfast in Berlin

When I was last in Berlin for an extended period of time (roughly 10 months) I don’t believe that I had a single English breakfast! In-fact my only vaguely regular British treat was tea. But this time things have changed with my discovery of Broken English!

Continue reading

Submitting a patch to Mediawiki on Gerrit

I remember when I first submitted a patch to Mediawiki on Gerrit. It was a +12 -4 line patch and it probably took me at least half a day to figure everything out and get my change up! There is a tutorial on mediawiki.org but it is far too wordy and over complicated. In this post I try to explain things as basically as possible. Enjoy!

Continue reading

© 2017 Addshore

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑