In my eyes the van was perfect, and was decently priced, so I was quick to snap it up, although naturally every second hand vehicle is going to have a few issues, some of which I missed and some which got slightly worse after the initial drive home. Below is a quick snapshot of the issues that I encountered and how I dealt with them for the MOT.
Those things that could wait
- A handful of small scratches and a few dents, nothing to worry about.
- The interior wood panelling had a hole in it, caused by something impacting the outside of the body, but the body had been sorted, the wood just needed fixing up, no MOT issues here.
- When changing into 5th something made an odd sound, a small crunch, though it didn’t feel too bad, so probably not worth worrying about at this early stage.
- One of the mirrors was slightly smashed (totally my fault). It turns out I was not quite ready to reverse this van out of the driveway I had it parked on.
Those that had to be fixed
- The horn didn’t work at all! This is a requirement.
- I couldn’t find reverse gear at all! I’m sure reverse functioning on a vehicle that has reverse is probably an MOT requirement.