The Google Assistant is essentially a chat bot that you can talk too within the new Allo chat app. The assistant is also baked into some new Google hardware, such as the pixel phones. During a quick test of the assistant, I noticed that if you ask it to “tell me an interesting fact” sometimes it will respond with facts from Wikipedia. Continue reading
The RevisionSlider is an extension for MediaWiki that has just been deployed on all Wikipedias and other Wikimedia websites as a beta feature. The extension was developed by Wikimedia Germany as part of their focus on technical wishes of the German speaking Wikimedia community. This post will look at the RevisionSliders design, development and use so far.
Wikidata was launched on 30 October 2012 and was the first new project of the Wikimedia Foundation since 2006. The first phase enabled items to be created and filled with basic information: a label – a name or title, aliases – alternative terms for the label, a description, and links to articles about the topic in all the various language editions of Wikipedia.
On 14 January 2013, the Hungarian Wikipedia became the first to enable the provision of interlanguage links via Wikidata. This functionality was slowly enabled on more sites until it was enabled on all Wikipedias on the 6th March.
The side bar that these interlanguage links are used to generate can be seen to the right. Continue reading
“David Cameron’s Wikipedia page has been hacked as the nation goes to the polls on election day.” — Belfast Telegraph
Well, no, not exactly.
Edits to the UK MP Links and United Kingdom elections templates to name but a few caused a large version of Ed Miliband’s face to appear on over 660 pages relating to the 2015 UK election saying “VOTE LABOUR” today. A full list of the pages affected can be found here and here.
So a quick summary of everything I am working on right now:
- MassAction is a Mediawiki extension allowing users to perform mass actions on targets on a Mediawiki site through a static page using Mediawikis inbuilt job queue that I have been working on for the past half a year or so. I look forward to releasing it to the open source world soon!
- addwiki is a collection of Mediawiki related PHP libraries (including one for wikibase). Previous to this I developed various PHP scripts and bots for Wikipedia using other libraries and always found that they were quite badly coded and prone to doing unexpected things. Addwiki is the start of my attempt to fix that for PHP.
- Orain (github) is a community-driven, not-for-profit wiki network that I help to keep running.
- I am also still an active contributor to all kinds of Wikimedia projects including the wonderful Wikidata.
- I should at some point be trying to create a very rudimentary backup script / system for Sharepoint Lists…
- I am also currently working on a redesign of the Joomla 1 components used to power http://studentwindsurfing.co.uk/ written for Joomla 3 which should be ready in the next 6 months.
I am also still involved with:
- Huggle (github), an antivandalism tool for use on Wikipedia and similar projects.
I could also point toward a few other things:
I also have a backlog of posts that I might try to write…
But for now lets end this post here.