It's a blog

Month: May 2020

Minecraft Java mod using Bukkit / Spigot

I have owned Minecraft Java for several years, but despite being a software developer, I have never looked into creating a mod, until now! This is certainly a different topic compared with my regular blog posts, but as always, I hope it will help someone somewhere.

I stumbled upon a video by one of the fastest-growing Minecraft YouTube channels (Dream) in which he quickly demonstrates creating some mods from suggestions in comments. My journey starts here, and with the fact that I can see an org.bukkit.event.Listener class imported.

This post should serve as a guide that works today, and I also now have a template bukkit mod on GitHub that you may find useful, as all Bukkit templates that I found were years out of date. However, perhaps I should have been looking for Spigot templates! Figuring all of this out only took an hour or so, and at the end of it, I was able to create a mod that left me with a world which you can see below.

Continue reading

Browser extension to clear your Facebook advert interests

Extension logo

At the end of 2018, I wrote a blog post that included some JavaScript code to quickly remove all of your Facebook advert interests from this settings page. This has started to become one of my more popular posts and so I decided to take another pass at the project and convert the code into a browser extension.

The new extension provides the user with an extra button on the ad interests page that will automatically go through and click all of the remove buttons for all of the interest tabs that appear on the top bar. The UI isn’t the best, but it is functional!

Continue reading

mediawiki-docker-dev v1 rewrite

Back in 2017 at the Wikimedia Hackathon, I played around with Docker and docker-compose in relation to MediaWiki and testing with multiple setups at once while developing, meaning multiple PHP versions, web servers and databases. My original slides can still be found here.

Since then mediawiki-docker-dev evolved into less of a testing system and more of a development environment, allowing the use of a master replica DB setup, easily swappable PHP versions, debugging and more. The project on GitHub currently has 40 stars, 38 forks and has seen 17 people contributing back.

Over the past couple of years, developer productivity and development environments have been a big discussion area. The Wikimedia technical conference in 2019 had the main topic of Developer Productivity. There have also been a few efforts in a few directions trying to figure out what is best for the majority of people. These include local-charts (Kubernetes based environment) and MediaWiki-Docker (simple docker-compose based environment).

Continue reading

Adding git bash to Windows terminal

I just saw a tweet saying that Windows terminal is now generally available, so I had to give it a try.

After downloading from the store and booting up I realized that only powershell, cmd and wsl are listed by default (and also Azure which I don’t really care about).

Clicking around the UI a little there is a settings menu item that opens a JSON configuration file in notepad. This configuration file defines the behaviours of the terminal including the profiles that can be loaded.

After a bit of searching and documentation reading I came up with this profile which I now use for my git bash installation (I hope it can help you too).

Continue reading

Reducing Java JVM memory usage in Containers and on Kubernetes

For a while I have been running a Wikibase query service update script for WBStack, which is a Java application on a Kubernetes cluster. Part of that journey has included the updater using all available memory, hitting into the kubernetes memory limit and being OOM killed. The title of the post is a little verbose, but I wanted to include all of the keywords that might help people find the answers to the memory issues that I was running into.

Before getting into my weeds, if you want the answers head straight to https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2017/04/04/openjdk-and-containers/

Continue reading

WBStack 2020 Update 2 (May)

WBStack is now in its 7th month with 76 user accounts who have created 226 MediaWiki sites running Wikibase, of which 145 are currently online (81 deleted sites). 295,000 edits have now been made in total, which is an increase of 95,000 in the last month, which roughly equates to 2 edits a minute for the month.

The most active site is currently UniTest which is “a Wikibase sandbox with information about the research ecosystem”. Second and third come School of Design and Hercules Demo.

Screenshot of the WESO UniTest Main Page, 17 May 2020
Continue reading

© 2020 Addshore

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑