Tech Lead Digest – July 2021
Welcome to the third installment of my tech lead digest digest. In order to allow myself some extra space to write, and also to provide these public updates and thoughts on a more regular basis, this is now becoming a monthly digest.
I’m going to try to incorporate some of the ongoings from other Wikidata / Wikibase projects, as well as my regular digest and reading.
🧑🤝🧑Wikidata & Wikibase
Work continues on the next iteration of Wikibase Federated Properties (phabricator board). This work will allow use of properties from multiple sources at once, such as Wikidata and also the local Wikibase.
Work also continues on the Wikidata Mismatch Finder (phabricator board) which is a tool to enable finding mismatches between Wikidata’s data and data in other databases.
The Campsite continues to work on a variety of smaller tasks, in the last month including a new release of our Design System, dealing with the Query Builder security review and preparing for deployment, performing some maintenance on WBStack including preparing for 1.36 and adding Elasticsearch. We also continue to support a university team in deploying a new Property Suggester algorithm (announcement coming soon), work towards tagging all edits made from the UI (T236893), as well as many other smaller tasks.
In other news:
- Wikidata got to over 9000 properties! (tweet)
- The Wikidata query service has started testing the final deployment of the “new streaming updater” which promises to make things faster and more reliable.
- The wikibase-docker phabricator tag has been replaced by “Wikibase Release Strategy” which will be used for issues with the new Wikibase releases.
- The wikibase-docker github repository has also been archived and the new code lives in wikibase-release-pipeline.
- We could make a significant perceived performance improvement for Wikidata & Wikibase with this proposed change (in the campsite backlog)
- You can now try out a MediaWiki backend running on Kubernetes for production
- Wikimedia Gerrit will update to 3.3 on August 3rd, including a feature called attention set)
- The first test projects have started being created on the WMF Gitlab instance
- OpenSearch (By Amazon), fork of ElasticSearch announced for general availability
- There is a proposal for a new structure for MediaWiki release notes.
- Wikimedia Cloud VPS now has DB as a service as an option
🔗Links & Reading
- Blogs by me
- Process & Organization
- A modern roadmap
- How Estimation Got Removed From Scrum
- 6 diagrams to explain Product Management concepts
- Development etc.
- I’ve been watching principles.dev slowly develop, for example: Learn in Public & Documentation should be close to the code
- An introduction to the Saga pattern
- Tips for creating better architecture diagrams
- Migrating Facebook to MySQL 8
- 7 Important Software Design Patterns
- SOLID principles in pictures
- Domain, Subdomain, Bounded Context, Problem/Solution Space in DDD: Clearly Defined