Recently I setup a small skaffold.dev development environment for a platform deployed using helmfile, deployed to a GKE cluster in production that is moving towards also having a local setup using minikube.
There is an open Github issue requesting helmfile support, so my first fear was that this wouldn’t be possible. Though after a little hacking around this seemed fairly easy by using the skaffold pre deploy hooks.
Here is a quick introduction to this stack, and a solution for using skaffold with helmfile deployments on minikube before “native” support is added.
I have been using the bitnami mariadb docker images and helmfiles for just over a year now in a personal project (wbstack). I have 1 master and 1 replica setup in a cluster serving all of my SQL needs. As the project grew disk space became pressing and from an early time I has to start automatically purging the bin logs setting expire_logs_days to 14. This meant that I could no longer easily scale up the cluster, as new replicas would not be able to entirely build themselves.
This blog post walks through the way that I ended up creating a new replica from my master after my replica corrupt itself and I was all out of binlogs. This directly relates to the Github issue on the bitnami docker images of https://github.com/bitnami/bitnami-docker-mariadb/issues/177
The walkthrough was performed on a Google Kubernetes Engine cluster using the 7.3.16 bitnami/mariadb helm charts which contain the 10.3.22-debian-10-r92 bitnami/mariadb docker image. So if you are using something newer expect some differences, but in principle it should all work the same.